Friday, November 30, 2012

A Special Gift

About 10 months ago, my dad asked me to create a shadow box to display his and my mom's wedding rings. I willingly obliged, but have had a really hard time doing it. It wasn't that I didn't want to do it, it was just really hard emotionally. Every time I sat down to work on it, tears would fill my eyes and I just couldn't continue. My mom passed away in November 2011 at the age of 62 from a heart attack.  She had just spent 6 weeks staying with us as I recovered from having our fourth baby and my parents had actually just moved in with us. They had moved to Utah from Oklahoma and were looking for a house. Her passing caught us totally by surprise and was a life changing experience for all of us.  Over the past year, I have battled many emotions and inner conflicts but am not at peace with my mom's passing.  After going through all those emotions, I was finally able to get to the point where I could work on the shadow box.

The perfect collection came in the form of Pink Paislee Mistables that I bought from Scrapbooksteals.com.  I loved that I could make it whatever colors I wanted.

I was going through some of my mom's things and found their engagement pictures. They were just what I needed to compliment the rings. The browns and greens in the pictures offered great vintage inspiration.





I gave it to my dad on Thanksgiving and he was just in awe. My dad liking it was the biggest compliment I could have received. I have such a hard time making scrappy gifts for people because I worry that they won't like the look of it. I guess it proves that it is the thought that counts.

Supplies:
Pink Paislee Mistables
  Scalloped Ribbon
  Fuzzy Stickers
  Fabric Flowers
  Paper
Glimmer Mist-Spanish Moss, Creme de Chocolat, Bronze
American Crafts Cardstock
Pebbles Candy dots
Imaginisce Foam Tape
Colorbox Ink- Chestnut Roan
Paper Studio Gemstones- Rainbow Crackle

No comments:

Post a Comment